emDOCs Podcast – Episode 12: Pediatric Toxicology and One Pill/Taste Can Kill
- Sep 14th, 2020
- Brit Long
Today on the emDocs cast with Brit Long, MD (@long_brit) and Manpreet Singh, MD (@MprizzleER) we cover pediatric toxicology and one pill/taste can kill toxins.
- If you have a child that presents concerning for toxic ingestion, contact the poison control center.
- Identification of children with clinical toxidromes concerning for ingestion requires vigilance on the part of the clinician.
- Careful questioning of the family/caretakers is required to identify potential exposures.
- In pediatric exposures with known time of ingestion and early presentation, activated charcoal may be considered for early decontamination in the asymptomatic patient who is protecting his/her airway.
- The following table provides a breakdown of the toxins and their treatments.